We have been managing breast disease and in particular breast cancer for many years and have extensive networks with dedicated practitioners in diagnosis, treatment, pathology and support. These networks extend to both the private and public sectors.
All surgeons at SBO are involved in multidisciplinary treatment teams and are also part of BreastScreen Australia. Regular meetings with our diagnostic imaging specialists ensures that patients receive expert advice and access to all relevant diagnostic techniques.
Our association with Breast Care Nurses in the public and private sectors enables patients to receive information and support as well as access to various support groups in a timely and friendly way.
Some of the reasons for referral to us include:
• Screen-detected cancer and related problems
• Breast lumps, pain and nipple discharge
• Skin and nipple changes
• Family history of breast or ovarian cancer
• Long-term surveillance for patients at higher risk
• Follow up of patients previously treated for cancer
For patients requiring surgery or oncology therapy, the Doctors at SBO are credentialled at a number of hospitals including:
• Monash Cancer Centre / Monash Health Hospitals
• Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre
• Cabrini Hospitals
• St Vincent’s East Melbourne (Mercy) Private Hospital
• Mulgrave Private Hospital
• South Eastern Private Hospital
• St John of God Berwick Private Hospital
• Peninsula Private Hospital
• Waverley Private Hospital
• Holmesglen Private Hospital
All surgeons at SBO contribute their surgical results to the 'Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand' data audit and peer review their surgical outcomes at regular educational meetings with medical oncology, radiation oncology and radiology colleagues.
Southern Breast Oncology is also committed to research and supports a number of clinical trials in breast cancer. This research effort is in collaboration with Monash Cancer Centre, Monash University, national and international research groups, and Cancer Council Victoria.
Although we are a fully computerised practice, this does not infringe on the personal rapport developed with patients, but does allow efficient and full communication with referring doctors.